Lighting was redesigned using studio lights. These lights do not work in RenderMan prior to version 21.
To add a light, select one of light tools such as Dome RenderMan Shelf which automatically creates a Pxr light OBJ.from the
We can also add a light via the TAB menu in OBJ pane. All the Pxr lights are listed under the Render TAB Menu.
You will notice some light's transformation components are hidden. This is because they are not applicable to that particular light type.
|PxrRectLight||Translate, scale, and rotation.|
|PxrDiskLight||Translate, scale, and rotation.|
|PxrSphereLight||Translate, uniform scale, and rotation. If scaled non-uniformly it will render as a sphere anyway.|
|PxrPortalLight||Like a PxrRectLight, but you also need an external coordsys for the orientation of the dome texture itself.|
Since this is not a real light designed to illuminate, no translate, scale, and rotate.
You cannot have a portal light without parenting it to a dome light.
The PxrPortalLight is an optimized version of the dome light by looking through a "portal". To set up a PxrPortalLight OBJ, we need to parent it to a PxrDomeLight OBJ. A dome light can have more than one portal light as children.
Once it is parented to a dome light, RenderMan for Houdini will process the portal light specially according to the following rules:
- Will inherit the parent dome's rotation depending on whether "Keep Position When Parenting" is selected when parenting it to the dome.
- If a parameter is not local to the portal light, it will inherit from the parent dome light's setting for that parameter.
- Intensity Multiplier will be multiplied by the parent dome's light Intensity.
- Color Tint will be multiplied by the parent dome's Color.
- It will apply all the dome's light filters as well as its own.
To add a PxrMeshLight (using the geometry selected as the light source), select the mesh light tool from the RenderMan Shelf. This tool will ask you to pick an object for the mesh light. This is useful for creating things like extruded neon lights or fluorescent lighting with cylinders.