For Rendering to Disk only. Checkpoints and recovery are ignored for interactive rendering.
Recovery allows us to resume/recover from the previously paused or incomplete stopped render. To turn it on, check Recover Render in RenderMan RIS ROP's Advanced Tab.
Render recovery is often used with checkpointing. To turn it on, check Recover Render in RenderMan RIS ROP's Advanced > Render Tab.
- Interval - the time between checkpoint saves
- Exit At - Exit the render at this time and render no more
- As Final - Even if the render completes, save the data necessary to pick up the render. This will result in a larger file
- Keep Files - Name and preserve all the past checkpoints instead of only the more recent one
- Command - Command for the RIB file location (if one is generated)
Incremental renders are not recoverable without checkpointing enabled. With incremental on and checkpoints off, the buckets are not written out until the end of the render. See table below:
Recovery and 'keepfiles'
Do not enable the keepfiles option for checkpointing if you want to use the recover capability.
Option "checkpoint" "uniform int keepfiles" 
The keepfiles option causes prman to save a sequence of checkpoints for debugging purposes giving each checkpoint image a unique file name tagged with increment and elapsed render time. However, when attempting to recover a file, prman won't scan your directory for checkpointed files or try to choose one. It will only look for the file by the original render output name.